Saturday, June 25, 2011

Fat Free Lemon Glazed Cupcakes


I've been back on the East Coast for just over a week now, and I'm just starting to feel like I'm on vacation. Since I've been hanging out on the left coast for the past three years, its been entirely too long since I've had the chance to see many of my good friends back East. I remedied that malady by taking a whirlwind East Coast World Tour, covering 1300 miles and 7 states in 5 days. It was exhausting, exhilarating, amazing, fun and such a blast. One of the stops along the way was back in my old stomping grounds of Fredericksburg, VA.

Lately it seems that the creative juices often flow whenever the heck they want, with little regard for convenience or time restrictions. This was the case in Virginia, when I had the chance to hang out and bake with the wonderful Bonnie of Bonz Blogz. I have to thank Bonnie for being such a prepared host, with a fully stocked, and may I add impeccably organized pantry, a culinary game plan, and a keen ability to wrangle my travel induced ADD brain into some form of focus. Recipe in hand, off we went bravely into the land of flour and eggs.

Fat Free Glazed Lemon Cupcakes
Cake:
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup applesauce
1/3 cup egg whites
1/3 cup skim milk
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 tsp lemon extract
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 2/3 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

Glaze:
1 cup confectioners sugar
3 Tbsp lemonade
few drops yellow food coloring (optional)

Preheat oven to 350° and line cupcake pan with liners. Combine first seven cake ingredients in medium bowl. Combine remaining four cake ingredients in smaller bowl and slowly mix into first bowl until smooth.

Pour batter into cupcake cups until about 3/4 full. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean. Meanwhile, combine glaze ingredients in a small bowl.

Allow cupcakes to cool completely. Glaze by turning each cupcake upside down and dipping top in glaze. Allow excess to drip off, flip back over and allow glaze to set.

The jury was split on these little guys. My initial impression was that they were more than faintly reminiscent of a Halls Lemon coughdrop, which was a hair off from my anticipated and desired flavor profile. I never want anyone to prejudge a recipe, but in the spirit of creativity, this one might use a good tweaking.

Pin It

StumbleUpon.com

2 comments:

Bonz said...

It was fun baking with you Laura. We'll need to do it again. :)

Cathy Pieroz said...

Yum these look great, and fat free is an amazing bonus! Can't wait to give this recipe a try :) Cathy Pieroz at Ray White Alexandra Hills