Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Peanut Butter Cups


After a healthy food failure in the kitchen earlier, these seemed like the perfect way to soothe a broken cook's soul. Plus, I may have been subconsciously steered towards these by the recent influx of Easter candy commercials invading TV. The one I blame directly involves an innocent chocolate bunny inching towards a jar of peanut butter while "Let's Get it On" tenderly serenades the duo. I think these would even make Marvin Gaye proud.

These were surprisingly easy to make, and I did not do one bit of fancy chocolate tempering. That's right, I'm a risk taker. There is no baking, and the only necessary accoutrement are baking cups or muffin liners. The milk chocolate had a wonderful gloss when chilled and firmed, but had more instant melt on your fingers quality than your store bought Peanut Butter Cups. All the more incentive to eat them quickly!

Peanut Butter Cups
3/4 cup chunky peanut butter
2 Tbsp confectioners sugar
12 oz milk chocolate
1/3 cup crushed graham crackers

Microwave peanut butter for 20 seconds until softened. Mix in confectioners sugar and crushed graham crackers until uniform.

Melt chocolate over a double boiler. Spoon a teaspoon of melted chocolate in the bottom of a baking cup. Tilt and rotate the baking cup to spread the melted chocolate up the side of the cup slightly. Scoop large rounded teaspoons of peanut butter mixture and press into a half dollar size patty. Place in baking cup, and cover with peanut butter.

Place in muffin tin to maintain shape, and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until firm. Makes 15 cups.

StumbleUpon.com

10 comments:

Daydreamer Desserts said...

Yum!! Thanks a lot, it's too late and I'm too tired to make these now, off I go on a peanut butter cup scavenger hunt through the pantry.

Mhel said...

Amazing!! Just like Reese's!!

Kat said...

That dang Reese's commercial gets me craving peanut butter cups, too!

Stella said...

I love these, Laura. You do know they were born in a very dark circle of the underworld, don't you?
Oh, and that orzo below looks good too. I really like the way orzo cooks up and has such a nice texture.

Bonz said...

Looks great!! :)

Tsz said...

The graham crackers is a nice touch—I do think they look better than the real deal :)

Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete said...

I didn't realize those were so easy to make! It looks amazing!!

Cooking Rookie said...

Very pretty!

R. said...

Oh no! I wish these were harder to make....then I could resist!!! Ahhhh! I'll be checking in with a tummyache later ;) (after I eat 30)...

ellyse said...

I think I would have to eat all of these!!! lol