Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Irish Coffee Marshmallows


St. Patrick's Day is upon us, and the blog world is all aflutter with the best traditional Irish eats to commemorate the holiday. Pages are flooded with corned beef, stout based confections and green iced delights everywhere you look. Earlier this week I posted Wee Little Irish Soda Bread, a traditional hearty staple of the day. As per my usual creative streak, which admittedly has been a bit lackluster lately, I needed to throw caution to the wind and fire up the old Kitchenaid. You never know what mysteries will appear when that happens.

Back around the holidays, I got on a bit of a marshmallow kick, which you can check out here and here. As delicious as they are, I couldn't justify putting another Guinness cupcake out into the world today. Enter my recently earthquake shaken brain putting together an old favorite with a touch of the good stuff. These are bound to get your Irish eyes a smilin'.

Irish Coffee Marshmallows
Recipe adapted from the Food Network and Ina Garten

3 packages unflavored gelatin
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1/2 tsp coarse salt
3/4 cup cold water
2 tsp coffee extract* or 3 Tbsp very strong coffee
2 Tbsp Irish whiskey (might I recommend Jamesons?)

Topping
1/2 cup Bailey's Irish Creme
1/4 cup Irish Whiskey
1/2 tsp butter

Combine the gelatin and 1/4 cup of cold water in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and allow to sit while you make the marshmallow syrup.

Combine the sugar, corn syrup, salt, and 1/2 cup water in a small saucepan and cook over medium heat until the sugar dissolves, stirring constantly. Cook at a steady rolling boil for one minute, continuing to stir, and remove from heat.

With the mixer on low speed, slowly pour the marshmallow syrup into the dissolved gelatin. As mixture begins to thicken, add in whiskey and coffee extract. Put the mixer on high speed and whip until the mixture is very thick, about 15 minutes.

Oil the sides of the a large casserole dish thoroughly with nonstick spray or vegetable oil. Pour in the marshmallow batter and smooth the top of the mixture with damp hands. Refrigerate while making Bailey's topping.

In a small saucepan, combine Bailey's and whiskey. Over medium high heat, bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Stir constantly until mixture has thickened to the consistency of caramel. Let cool slightly, and swirl over top of marshmallows.

Remove the marshmallows by inverting the pan onto a baking sheet. Cut marshmallows into squares and store uncovered at room temperature. Makes 25-30 marshmallows.

*I couldn't locate coffee extract, so I went with super strong coffee. I used 4 scoops of coffee with 1/4 cup water, left to steep in the French press overnight.

If you were looking for something St. Patricks Day worthy that's a little different, you might also like these Moonshine Whoopie Pies from awhile back. Pillowy soft Guinness flavored whoopie cookies with a rich Bailey's Irish Creme filling... these are sure to bring you the luck of the Irish.

StumbleUpon.com

6 comments:

Daydreamer Desserts said...

I read your update on FoodBlogForum and immediately hopped over to check out your Irish Coffee Marshmallows, they sound fantastic! Also, good call on the Jamesons. =)

Julia said...

Oh how I LOVE homemade marshmallows. And with a little booze in them, done!

Jenn @ Defunkt Gourmet said...

I've been wanting to make marshmallows forever!! These look great. This might be the push I need to actually attempt them :)

Also, I've given you a blog award. I hope you consider it :) http://defunktgourmet.wordpress.com/2010/03/17/the-sunshine-award/

Liam O'Malley said...

YUM.

I keep seeing homemade marshmallow recipes too, one of these days I'm going to have suck it up and try some of my own. These look delicious.

pegasuslegend said...

these sound terrific, thanks again for mentioning me, I posted your wonderful award to friends on my blog today take care.

Stella said...

Yum! I've never made marshmallows. I want to though!
By the way, way to go on doing two kind of Irishy posts. I didn't even one and I'm Irish (smile)...