Monday, March 22, 2010

Gratitude.


There isn't a day that passes that I don't shake my head in amazement over where this blog has gone. Nearly a year ago, I set out on a whim to make a blog, not even sure what that meant or entailed. All I wanted was a place to post pictures that I hoped weren't too awful and recipes that were mildly palatable and interesting. To this day it amazes me that people read my little piece of the blog world.

So here I sit, the humble recipient of two awards. They're both from gals named Jenn who are both from Canada. Apparently, I'm huge there. :)

The Sunshine Blog Award is awarded to bloggers whose positivity and creativity inspire others in the blog world. I received this from Jenn at Defunkt Gourmet, my international foodie pen pal.

The Rules & Regulations of The Sunshine Blog Award:
1. Put the logo on your blog or within your post
2. Pass the award on to 12 bloggers!
3. Link the nominees within your post
4. Let the nominees know they have received this award by commenting on their blog
5. Share the love and link to the person from whom you received this award

Here goes!

1. Jenn @ Sweet Water
It was a no brainer that the lovely Jenn be a recipient for this cool award. She is an amazing writer, with freeing honesty and brutal truth about her challenges, cooking adventures and life North of the border. If you haven't checked out her Top Chef challenge series, where she recreates some of the most memorable dishes from the show, you're missing out on some serious brilliance.

2. Noelle @ An Opera Singer in the Kitchen
I always enjoy how Noelle incorporates her love for music through her posts. She is a recent vegan who shares amazing recipes suitable for both vegans and carnivores alike. I always pick up fun new facts when I hang out on her page... for example, did you know Guinness isn't vegan? Who knew!

3. Natasha @ 5 Star Foodie Culinary Adventures
An East Coast gal with an eye for tasty, unique ingredients. I've loved vicariously globe trotting through through her blog, between posts about her traveling adventures and amazing stops along the 2010 Culinary Tour Around the World series. Gorgeous pictures, and I always learn something new from her posts.

4. Joanne @ Apple Crumbles
Joanne provides a lovely taste of home, blogging from Upstate New York. An avid healthy lifestyle endorser and believer, and her honey glazed salmon with butternut squash and lemony asparagus rocked my world.

5. Josie @ Daydreamer Desserts
What I love about Josie's blog, aside from the drool worthy images, Josie is passionate about a cause. Through her work with the Ovarian Cancer Research Fund (OCRF), she's gotten to hang out with Cake Boss star Buddy Valastro and Kelly Ripa for a phenomenal "Cake off" earlier this year. A gal who has ridiculous kitchen skills with delicious desserts and takes a stand against Cancer is a sure winner in my book.

6. TasteStopping
Oh TasteStopping, how I love thee. Providing consistent, humorous reassurance that all aspiring photographers can and should be published, even when those other sites don't agree. It's also a great resource to learn from and check out other bloggers web worthy pics.

7. Liren @ Kitchen Worthy
This fabulous Bay area foodie is also a former East coast gal with a love for all things food. She blends gorgeous recipes with fun family adventures to make for fantastic, smile inducing posts.

8. Cat @ NeoHomesteading
Cat is a Pennsylvania mama who embraces all the things I want to become as an urban homesteader. She shares her love for canning, homebrewing, artisan breads and a smattering of fantastic unique dishes on her site.

9. Julia @ Fat Girl Trapped in a Skinny Body
Julia is a super prolific local OC food blogger. She puts once a week posters like me to shame! Her balance of healthy meal options and tasty recipe remakes (awesome thin mint AND samoas knockoffs!) makes a fantastic addition to your blog reading list.

10. Donalyn @ DessertStalking
Another upstate NY'er who I am so happy to have "met" through blogging. Dessertstalking is a fantastic site to submit photos of all things sweet, and unique to this site, there are no comments. I love that this was done purposefully to encourage DessertStalkers to hop over the submitters blog and leave a comment. Bringing the blog world closer one tasty photo at a time!

11. Alta @ Tasty Eats at Home
I love the voice that Alta brings to her writing. She has a huge eclectic mix of recipes, with an international flair and she has recently gone gluten free. Tasty Eats is a great resource for us gluten gobblers looking to see how the other half lives!

12. David and Luise @ Green Kitchen Stories
This super talented couple from Stokholm, Sweden has a site that is to die for. This truly is a visual feast to behold, with gorgeous vegetarian creations and a penchant for chocolate goodies, a huge plus in my book. They have also just welcomed a beautiful baby girl into their kitchen.. congrats!



The Circle of Friends award is given for the connections and friendships you make through the blog world. It was passed on to me from Jenn @ Sweet Water (see above). As she so eloquently stated in her award post, its difficult not to perpetuate the inbred cycle of award reciprocation and pass it right back to the award giver. Fantastic statements like that are a large part of the reason I really enjoy her and her always chuckle worthy writing.

Without further ado, here are my 5 recipients.

1. Jenn @ Defunkt Gourmet
My Canadian foodie penpal and I were brought together through a Beastie Boys quote, a mutual love of Ben Folds and a similar sense of humor. Like many other bloggers, she is in search of the perfect macaron and well on her way to its discovery!

2. Claudia @ What's Cookin' Italian Style Cuisine
What I love about Claudia is her ability to jump in and be a fearless leader. She was largely responsible for shepherding the lost masses after the infamous Foodbuzz "change" a few months back. She has provided constant encouragement and has been a generous resource in my blogging adventures. She also has a fabulous blog with great step by step recipes that weave tales of her family through her writing.

3. Mia @ Mia King
This lovely Hawaiian gal is the true definition of multitasker. Mom, cook, workshop speaker, blogger and National Bestselling Author are found among the many bulletpoints on her most impressive life resume. Her writing is like a casual, comfortable conversation with an old friend, and my interactions with her in the blog world are just as kind and comfortable. She truly illustrates how much the blog world levels the playing field, allowing newbies like me to virtually hobnob with best selling authors and cooking standouts.

4. Rachael J @ Laptops and Stovetops
The fabulous Ms. Rachael is a Florida girl who always, without doubt, cracks me up. Her blog has just undergone a serious facelift and is looking divine. I think if Rachael and I hung out in the real world, we might cause some serious trouble together.

5. Dara @ Cookin' Canuck
There aren't many food blogs out there that I consistently am interested in making every single dish featured. This is one of them. Dara just makes me shake my head and smile each time I read a new post, as I think "she did it again!" Check out her creative takes on classic dishes, easy to follow instructions and fantastic photography.

I hope that my little blog continues to entertain you, and thanks as always for your support and kind words. My hope that this space will always brings a little bit of sunshine into your day. You all certainly bring it into mine.

StumbleUpon.com

7 comments:

Noelle said...

Thank you so much Laura! I feel so honored!

Neo-Homesteading said...

Quite honored as well! Thank you!

5 Star Foodie said...

Congrats on the awards and thank you so much for sharing the lovely Sunshine award with me! I am honored!

Liren said...

Awww, Laura, I'm so honored! Thank you so much for thinking of me and placing me in such good company! It really means so very much to me!!!!

Thanks for making my day :)

pegasuslegend said...

Laura, I can't tell you how touched I am to include me in this award. I have had a horrible two weeks being ill and this made my day, really cheered me up. Thank you so much for this, I am honored to receive the kindness of your words and award. thank you so much. I honestly hope foodbuzz will direct you back to a friendlier home :)

AppleC said...

Thank you so much for the nomination.

That's Ron said...

tats great... hope i can make ur list one day!