Tuesday, February 23, 2010

English Muffins & A Free Short Stack


I've been talking about making these for a long, long time. The simple joy of hot, steamy muffins with their nooks and crannies filled with butter, jam, peanut butter or whatever else you choose is tough to match. It's been cooler here lately, I guess its what Californians consider winter. Having been on a recent breakfast smoothie kick, this fresh griddled delight is a welcomed start to the mornings when the temperature is a bit less California like.

You may have noticed I said griddled, not baked... that's right, griddled like a pancake. That works as a convenient coincidence as it as National Pancake Day. If you have a hankering for flapjacks, head on out to your local IHOP and they will serve up a free short stack today until 10 PM. While you're there, why don't you make a donation to Children's Miracle Network... there are lots of kids out there who would love your help.

And I digress...

This recipe is from King Arthur Flour recipes and can be found here.

English Muffins
1 3/4 cups (14 ounces) milk, warm*
3 Tbsp butter
1 1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp granulated sugar**
1 large egg, lightly beaten
3 cups King Arthur Unbleached Bread Flour
1 - 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons instant yeast

* I used Silk Vanilla Light Soy Milk
** I used 2 tsp honey

Place the ingredients in a stand mixer with dough hook attachment. If using bread maker, use the "dough" or "manual" setting. Mix the dough thoroughly until it pulls away from the side of the bowl in a uniform ball.

Transfer the dough to a cornmeal-sprinkled surface and roll it out to 1/3 to 1/2-inch thick. Cut out circles with a 3 inch cutting ring. Re-roll and cut out the leftover dough. Cover the muffins with a damp cloth and let rest for 20 minutes.

Heat a frying pan or griddle to low heat (I used a dry cast iron skilled). Before placing muffins on griddle, coat both sides with cornmeal. Cook for four minutes at a time with lid of pan on. Remove lid, flip muffins and repeat for four more minutes.

Check after about 3 to 4 minutes to see that the muffins are browning evenly. If they are cooking either too fast or too slowly, adjust the temperature of your pan.

When the muffins are brown on both sides, transfer them to a wire rack to cool, and proceed with the remaining muffins. Serve hot with your favorite shmear and enjoy

StumbleUpon.com

11 comments:

MaryMoh said...

These muffins look perfect. I would love to have some with butter and jam and a cup of tea....mmm

Meghan said...

Yes please! Any excuse to eat bread for breakfast, or to eat a heap of peanut butter ranks high in my book. Can't wait to try!

Noelle said...

These looks so good! I am going to save this recipe for further vegan use! Thanks and great job!

Carol Egbert said...

Homemade nooks and crannies sound so much better than manufactured ones.

The Chef In My Head said...

Perfect timing, I was wanting to make these! ~LeslieMichele

Stella said...

Hi Laura-found you on foodbuzz. I have been meaning to make homemade English muffins, b/c I have an Algerian friend who says they are exactly like a bread he loves from his country. So I'm bookmarking this! Thanks & Congrats on being on Today's Top 9!

Claudia said...

I've had a smoothie every day for a month and I love them - but you're making me thing muffiny... all those nooks and crannies... gorgeous!

Me! said...

those look so good! i had seen alton brown make them a while ago and i thought i wanted to make them but hadn't gotten around to it. you are inspiring me to give it a shot.

deemack said...

I was just lamenting the fact that I was paying close to $4 for a package of English Muffins yesterday! I've made pita/flatbread in a skillet. Will have to try these too!

Linn @ Swedish Home Cooking said...

I was just looking for a recipe for English muffin that I'm gonna make for my eggs Benedict. This looks like a simple and good recipe! Thanks.

Kim at Rustic Garden Bistro said...

I recently borrowed The Bread Baker's Apprentice from the library, and found a recipe for English muffins. Now your photo is making me drool for them. They just might make an appearance at the RGB soon! [K]